Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hummingbirds Nesting

This is best story ever!

About a two months ago, I saw our local hummingbird picking up nesting material. She feeds off my porch plants every few days. She started building a nest outside our front door in the two story open area in the center of the condo doors/walkways.

I don't think anyone even noticed her. I would only look at her from upstairs, I didn't want to get too close. She got used to me checking on her in the morning and would only click at me a little.

1st picture is her sitting on her nest.
2nd picture is just a little while after they hatched. All sorts of pin feathers.
3rd picture, their flight feathers are coming in and getting some iridescent color.
4th picture, they barely fit in the nest anymore
5th picture, the smaller of the two babies spent the night in the tree after mom and the other baby had already flown off.

I got really attached to them and it make me happy that they just kept feeding off the freesia, potato bush, lemon tree and bower plant that I have on the porch.

I can still hear hummingbirds flying around and clicking away during the day. I like to think they are from this little family. I hope they next here again next year.


No comments: