Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Heliotrope

I am not a huge fan of really sweet smelling flowers, they kind of make me gag a little. But I do like this that smell fresh, warm or like citrus. This is one of the rare plants that I just love the smell of. I first found heliotropes in Arcata, when I was going to Humboldt State. I think I bought mine at the farmers market that happened every week in the plaza.

They seemed to thrive in Arcata, some sun, lots of moisture cooler temps. It did just fine in my little kitchen window there, but needless to say it didn't survive the move to very hot, dry Davis when I moved back to this area.

They are a little odd. They grow as a small shrub, with very dark almost mint like leaves and tight bundles of super small purple flowers that start off as little puff balls.

Since my last one died, I have mourned the fact that this area wants to kill my heliotrope. Well, I was in the Santa Cruz area visiting family when I found this one at the grocery store. Again, it was raised in the cool coastal areas, but I bought it anyway. At the time, my friend Bob said that I was buying it just to kill it.

Since I am stubborn, I have kept that damn heliotrope alive for going on 3 years! Out of spite! I try to move it around so that is gets the shade of some of my larger plants, but it really doesn't like to be dry, so I have to be really diligent about the water. The pay off is that when I sit on the porch and read, I get the lovely warm scent of all the work. It's like a slightly floral vanilla smell that is just great in the warm spring sun.

I highly recommend getting one especially if you don't live in Sacramento.




No comments: