Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Grandma's Cactus

By Jenny the Guest Blogger

My grandma gave me this cute little cactus a while ago. Grandma passed away in 2006, but the cactus is still kicking. It was a tiny little cactus in a tiny little pot. And it truly lives on water alone. I put a cork next to it in the picture for scale. When I water it frequently, the thing grows like the dickens. I have never re-potted it, given it new soil, or fertilizer or anything. I am consistently amazed at the ability of cacti to make something from nothing. This past year, I placed the little grandma cactus in the kitchen window box. No plant can resist the kitchen window box! It has flourished, and I barely remember to water it. Maybe in 2009 I will re-pot it. Or not. Either way, I'm sure like my late grandma it will keep on keeping on.

No comments: