Sunday, May 3, 2015

Splitting Succulents

I've seen all sorts of pins on Pinterest about splitting succulents and I've done it before but more in a "I broke something off and stuck it in the dirt in the off change it would root" kind of way.

So I thought I would finally take a stab at doing it intentionally. A bunch of my plants were getting leggy and needed to be repotted, split or cut down. I cut everything that was too long and pulled leaves off then trimmed the remaining stalk. I laid them out so that their cut ends could dry out - about a week.

A few leaves dried out right away so those won't work. But many others survived. I just laid them on a tray of damp cactus soil and lo and behold they started sprouting! Some are sprouting with full plants while others are just shooting off roots. Either way, I have a little factory going. I'll update as I can!

Drying out the cut ends.
A whole lot of aloe that was over grown.
Tiny little roots and a wee little plant!

No comments: