Sunday, April 4, 2010

Orchid Care, My 2 cents

Recently, I was asked by a few friends on Facebook how I care for my orchids. I'm no expert, but here's what I told them...

So they really don't want their little roots wet. If you have one in that is in a crappy plastic pot, and then shoved into a decorative container - it's probably not happy. It likes its crappy plastic pot with all the slits on the side.

I water mine about once every 7-10 days either by leaving it under running water for a minute or two, or soaking it in the sink for a few minutes. That way the bark it lives in gets wet which is where it likes to find the water.

Most like a fair amount of indirect light but can handle and enjoy some direct sun unless you live in Arizona and it gets vaporized on contact.

I find orchid death occurs mainly because it's being over watered (drowning roots), or not watered at all. You can sort of tell when they are getting desperate for water because the bulbous parts start shrinking.

That's my 14 cents on the orchid care.

No comments: