Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Succulent Window, RIP Tummy

By TheJenny, Guest Blogger

So, I've begun filling in the window box in the bathroom with cacti and succulents. I cannot put any "regular" house plants in the window because one of my cats is very mouthy cat and will chew on everything leafy. So poky spiny things and unchewable succulents it is!

Against all better judgment, I used pretty glass jars and containers for the plants. This is inadvisable because the containers do not have drain holes. So I will need to be extremely careful in the future to not let these small plants get waterlogged and rot. Perhaps I shall water them with an eyedropper. But all the glass is pretty and sparkly and it makes for a nice vignette.
Yet I still sort of hate it too, because it reminds me of what's no longer in the window box. Our cat, Tummy, used to lounge in that window every day, and she passed away earlier this year. The growing things are a remembrance of our sweet cat.

No comments: