Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Elephant Ear Plant

My little Elephant Ear plant was a random Home Depot purchase about 5 years ago. It never seemed very happy in our other homes, but it likes the little spot it's in now. We have a stair case that goes down to the garage and we keep our wine there, since it doesn't get any sun light. There is a little window, but since everyone who walks by can see in it, we keep the shades closes most of the way.

The Elephant Ear just sits right next to the window and gets its little leaves through the blinds every once in a while, then I turn it.

It has two stalks, and a few months ago all the leaves went through their normal growing/dying routine, but nothing new was sprouting. There were just two stalks. I figured they weren't dead so I cut back on the watering and over the summer it just sort of looked sad.

Then a few weeks back one leaf sprouted - nice and adorably small compared to what it was. And now I have four leaves, two on each stalk. It totally looks better than ever!
I have no idea how it happened, but it has come back to life and looks like a whole new plant. Maybe it's just glad I didn't kill it.

No comments: