Friday, August 8, 2008

Te Leaf Plant From Hawaii

My mom went to a Hula competition in Long Beach last year. An old school mate of hers from Hawaii was helping orgainze it and wanted my parents to come down.

They had a great time hanging out with all the Hawaiians and I think it made my mom miss her childhood growing up in Hawaii.

There was a type of fair/bizarre set up with all things Hawaiian, and my mom got to talking to a woman who makes leis from Te leaves. Of course, in traditional Hawaiian generousity, she gave my mom stalks for three different varieties of Te plants.

So, of course I ended up with one. It looked like a mini stick of sugar cane, or a Slim Jim depending on your background. I stuck it into a free wine glass with some water and month later, lots of roots were growing.

I trasplanted it into a terra cotta pot, and at first, it just looked ridiculous. A stick with a couple of small leaves. But after a while it has started to actually look like a plant.

And I like it. It came from one of those moment rooted in random kindness from strangers, so I like it. I hope it hangs in there and survives for a good long while.


No comments: