Monday, August 4, 2008

Another Orchid - Rescued

My very fantastic boss left to take a better job, and as she was clearing out her office (which was a marathon, not a sprint), she brought a little pot into my office and sort of held it out to me with this look of, "Will you take this?".

I knew it was an orchid and it had about 4 good leaves with some dead ones underneath. I took it an boldly declared, "I bet I can get this to bloom." She looked skeptical, I didn't blame her.

Since my only other orchid was rocking some amazing blooms, I figured they could live together. Now the violet, space ship orchid, and charity orchid all live in the window sill. It's getting crowded.

I cleaned it up and took it out of the pot it was in. The orchid was actually in a good, well ventilated plastic pot, with the air slits in it so those air roots can breath. The problem was, it was nestled in a decorative ceramic pot that was super snug and was suffocating it.

Now, with some air and regular watering, it has grown 3 new leaves, and some nice chunky new roots are growing.

Still don't know if it's ever going to bloom, but if it does, I'll send a picture to my ex-boss. She will be so proud.


No comments: