Friday, September 12, 2008

The Little Spruce Tree - Epic Fail!


My sister-in-law got this little spruce tree as a Christmas present a few years ago and thought I might want it. (You know, after I keep writing these stories, I wonder why I would ever have to buy plants. People just keep giving them to me!)

Anyhoo. It lived in a very small Terra cotta pot, which I had a hard time keeping moist enough and sometimes it would have dead spots on it.

I finally transplanted it into a glazed ceramic pot which it loved. Since spring of this year it has been totally happy! Super soft, very blue, growing like mad. I was so proud! It was turning into a perfect little Christmas tree and I had planned on bringing it in for the holidays.

Then I went on vacation. My mom was watching our place and watering the plants. I don't know what happened. I usually run my hand across it when I go out to water, it has such a feathery feel to it. When I came home, my hand just crunched against it. Super dry, super dead.

The main branches are still alive, but all the little square leaves are toast. I rubbed all the dead stuff off and am hoping I can get it to come back to life. If I had to guess, I think it actually got over watered. What a bummer.

Here it is at the beginning of spring, it grew to twice this size before it died.


And here it is now. Boo.

No comments: